Lilian Jackson Braun died on Saturday at a hospice in Landrum, South Carolina, her publisher Penguin Group USA said on Tuesday.
The history of Lilian Jackson Braun is perhaps as exciting and mysterious as her novels. Between 1966 and 1968, she published three novels to critical acclaim; The Cat Who Could Read Backwards, The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern and The Cat Who Turned On and Off. In 1966, The New York Times labeled Braun, "the new detective of the year." Then, for reasons unknown, the rising mystery author disappeared from the publishing scene.
It wasn't until 1986 that the Berkley Publishing Group reintroduced Braun to the public with the publication of an original paperback, The Cat Who Saw Red. Within two years, Berkley released four new novels in paperback and reprinted the three mysteries from the sixties.
Even though Braun claims that her cats have never done anything extraordinary, her fictional cats, Koko and Yum Yum, solve crimes and delight fans in book after book. Braun says the reason for her success is that "people are simply tired of all the blood. I write what is called the classic mystery." She says that while "not all mystery fans may like cats, all cat-fanciers seem to like mysteries. That makes for a large audience, since 26% of all American households own 53.9 million cats between them." Braun wrote her books in longhand, then typed them herself, according to her publisher. No memorial service will be held.
Braun was the "Good Living" editor of The Detroit Free Press for 29 years.
Jim Qwilleran Feline Whodunnit series
- The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (1966)
- The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (1967)
- The Cat Who Turned On and Off (1968)
- The Cat Who Saw Red (1986)
- The Cat Who Played Brahms (1987)
- The Cat Who Played Post Office (1987)
- The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (1988)
- The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (1988)
- The Cat Who Went Underground (1989)
- The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (1990)
- The Cat Who Lived High (1990)
- The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (1991)
- The Cat Who Moved a Mountain (1992)
- The Cat Who Wasn't There (1992)
- The Cat Who Went Into the Closet (1993)
- The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (1994)
- The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (1995)
- The Cat Who Said Cheese (1996)
- The Cat Who Tailed A Thief (1997)
- The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (1998)
- The Cat Who Saw Stars (1999)
- The Cat Who Robbed A Bank (2000)
- The Cat Who Smelled a Rat (2001)
- The Cat Who Went Up the Creek (2002)
- The Cat Who Brought Down the House (2003)
- The Cat Who Talked Turkey (2004)
- The Cat Who Went Bananas (2004)
- The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell (2006)
- The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (2007)
The Cat Who Put Four in a Box (1999)
Qwilleran's Short and Tall Tales (2002) aka Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected by James MacKintosh Qwilleran
The Private Life of the Cat Who...: Tales of Koko and Yim Yum from the Journals of James MacKintosh Qwilleran